Wednesday, July 9, 2014

An Improv Mug Rug

I really need to be better about blogging, so here is a mug rug (First Improv piecing EVER) I have to share with you.  I know one thing for sure - IMPROV is fun!  I know that there are folks who need structure and a 'plan' or pattern for when they sew that this definitely is not the technique for them.  But, for using up scraps and having fun it is just the thing to try!  Some scraps were bought from a destash sale (courtesy of Instagram) and some were from my stash.  All are Amy Butler fabrics. I needed a newer mug rug at work and wanted to practice more free-motion quilting and this is a great practical piece to do just that.  Believe it or not, the binding was even part of those scraps - the seller already had it assembled, it just had to be cut down.  Serendipitous!!

Here is the back where you can see my not so perfect free-motion quilting.  Actually, I think it is pretty decent compared to what I did when I first started!  Definitely need more practice!  I took patterns from Angela Walters Free-Motion quilting book, which is great!  


Thanks for stopping by!!!

4 comments:

  1. Your mug rug looks great, Donna. I love the freedom of improvisation, seeing where the project leads me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Donna, I've featured your mug rug today...
    http://www.threadingmyway.com/2014/07/threading-your-way-features_12.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pretty mug rug! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you did a good job on your first improv piece. Good job!

    ReplyDelete